Kitsissuarsuit

Kitsissuarsuit is one of three settlements belonging to Aasiaat and is situated approximately 21 km north of the town, on the southernmost of a group of islands named Kitsissuarsuit. The settlement was founded as a trading station in 1830, and before that, the settlement was used by whalers until 1817.

Settlement objectives (priority areas, development goals etc.)

Kitsissuarsuit’s present service and housing level is to be sought maintained or adjusted to the decreasing number of inhabitants. Further town development is to take place within the existing settlement zone. Sufficient industrial areas should be allotted for the potential construction of fish processing plants or skin processing facilities. The inhabitant’s wish to develop the settlement’s tourist potentials should be supported in cooperation with Aasiaat. The settlement’s outdoor areas can be improved by providing lighting and good meeting places. 

Population and housing

The population has decreased steadily in the past 20 years. At present, there are approximately 90 inhabitants. The population is expected to keep declining, so during the planning period, the primary demand will concern replacement buildings in connection with redevelopment.

The homes are all detached, 1-1½-storey single-family houses, most of them built after 1975. The town plan leaves room for approximately 60 homes in Kitsissuarsuit.

Industry and port facilities

Existing jobs primarily lie within fishing, sealing and whaling. There are also jobs within the service sector, the shop, the school and the municipal facilities and offices. There is no production plant and only limited trading.

In 1987, the port was extended with a fixed quay in the north-eastern part of the settlement. Dinghies and boats are primarily anchored in the inlet south of the port, which offers hauling facilities.

The town plan leaves room for building approximately 2,500 m2 for industry and port purposes.

Infrastructure and service

The settlement is serviced by a helistop, situated west of the settlement.

The road structure mainly consists of a thorough wheel track from the port and telecommunications installation in the north to the dump and cemetery in the south.

A diesel-powered power plant was constructed near the port in 1987, and water production is based on a desalination plant and distribution via pipes and bottling houses. Operations are handled by Nukissiorfiit. Housing are heated using independent oil burners. Waste is deposited on the dump south of the settlement along with night soil. The settlement features a church (from 1928), a settlement consultation post, trading of raw materials (B-93 offering packing of dried meat and narwhal blubber), municipal workshop including laundry, a carpenter’s workshop and KNI Pilersuisoq.

Education

The elementary school (Ole Reimerip Atuarfia) numbers around ten pupils. 

Cultural and leisure facilities

The trading station manager’s house (B-93), the former (B-159) and the current school buildings (B-875) as well as the three old warehouses (B-86, B-90 and B-91) are designated preservation-worthy.

An area is zoned for a soccer field north of the helistop. The former village hall was included in the educational facilities in 1988. 

Qaasuitsup Kommunia · Postboks 1023 · 3952 Ilulissat · Grønland · www.qaasuitsup.gl · E-mail: plan@qaasuitsup.gl · Tlf.: +299 947800
Last edited 29-3-2017